- Submission details:
- Submission received: 12 October 2011, 03:02:02
- Processing time: 9 min 26 sec
- Submitted sample:
- File MD5: 0x7F414D0A59F316CA6FF05BF7414457E4
- File SHA-1: 0x1C6040C162046544348E996700BAE6BC5F87E6BF
- Filesize: 745,029 bytes
|What's been found||Severity Level|
|Downloads/requests other files from Internet.|
|Creates a startup registry entry.|
|Contains characteristics of an identified security risk.|
|Possible Security Risk|
- Attention! Characteristics of the following security risk was identified in the system:
||Worm.IM.Sohanad spreads via Yahoo Messenger and infects Windows. It sends a message to all Yahoo Messenger contacts of an infected user. The message contains a link enticing users to download the worm. The worm also disable certain Windows functionalities abd hijacks Internet Explorer homepage. It also downloads other maware and it will also attempt to propagate via the means of creating copies of itself onto removable devices such as USB flash and hard drives.
- Attention! The following threat category was identified:
||A network-aware worm that attempts to replicate across the existing network(s)
|File System Modifications|
- The following files were created in the system:
|#||Filename(s)||File Size||File Hash||Alias|
Worm.Win32.AutoRun.gmp [Kaspersky Lab]
Worm.Win32.AutoRun.fnc [Kaspersky Lab]
- %System% is a variable that refers to the System folder. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\Winnt\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).
- %Windir% is a variable that refers to the Windows installation folder. By default, this is C:\Windows or C:\Winnt.
- There were new processes created in the system:
|Process Name||Process Filename||Main Module Size|
|[filename of the sample #1]||[file and pathname of the sample #1]||819,200 bytes|
- The following Registry Keys were created:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel
- The newly created Registry Value is:
- Yahoo Messengger = "%System%\system3_.exe"
so that system3_.exe runs every time Windows starts
- The following Registry Values were modified:
- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
- Default_Page_URL =
- Default_Search_URL =
- Search Page =
- Start Page =
- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
- [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
- Analysis of the file resources indicate the following possible country of origin:
- There were registered attempts to establish connection with the remote hosts. The connection details are:
|Remote Host||Port Number|
- The data identified by the following URLs was then requested from the remote web server:
All content ("Information") contained in this report is the copyrighted work of Threat Expert Ltd and its associated companies ("ThreatExpert") and may not be copied without the express permission of ThreatExpert.
The Information is provided on an "as is" basis. ThreatExpert disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, to the maximum extent permitted by law, including the implied warranties that the Information is merchantable, of satisfactory quality, accurate, fit for a particular purpose or need, or non-infringing, unless such implied warranties are legally incapable of exclusion. Further, ThreatExpert does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the Information in terms of their correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise.
Copyright © 2013 ThreatExpert. All rights reserved.