- Submission details:
- Submission received: 24 September 2012, 12:33:54
- Processing time: 9 min 32 sec
- Submitted sample:
- File MD5: 0x6EC9A45790674117D2495D79522F117D
- File SHA-1: 0xEF64C26EADB083D2FF35089AA8256452E910A92A
- Filesize: 463,872 bytes
- W32.Sality.AE [Symantec]
- Virus.Win32.Sality.bh [Kaspersky Lab]
- W32/Sality.gen.z [McAfee]
- Mal/Sality-D [Sophos]
- Virus:Win32/Sality.AT [Microsoft]
- Trojan.Win32.CDur [Ikarus]
- Win32/Kashu.E [AhnLab]
|What's been found||Severity Level|
|Hosts file modification that may block access to the security web sites.|
|Produces outbound traffic.|
|Creates a startup registry entry.|
|Contains characteristics of an identified security risk.|
|Possible Security Risk|
- Attention! The following threat category was identified:
||A virus capable to modify other files by infecting, prepending, or overwriting them them with its own body
|File System Modifications|
- The following file was created in the system:
|#||Filename(s)||File Size||File Hash||Alias|
[file and pathname of the sample #1]
Virus.Win32.Sality.bh [Kaspersky Lab]
- %MyDocuments% is a variable that refers to the file system directory used to physically store a user's common repository of documents. A typical path is C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\My Documents.
- The following file was modified:
- %System% is a variable that refers to the System folder. By default, this is C:\Windows\System (Windows 95/98/Me), C:\Winnt\System32 (Windows NT/2000), or C:\Windows\System32 (Windows XP).
- The following directories were created:
- %AppData% is a variable that refers to the file system directory that serves as a common repository for application-specific data. A typical path is C:\Documents and Settings\[UserName]\Application Data.
- There were new processes created in the system:
|Process Name||Process Filename||Main Module Size|
|[filename of the sample #1]||[file and pathname of the sample #1]||1,064,960 bytes|
- The following Registry Key was created:
- The newly created Registry Value is:
- MicroUpdate = "%MyDocuments%\MSDCSC\msdcsc.exe"
so that msdcsc.exe runs every time Windows starts
- The following Registry Value was modified:
- [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
- Analysis of the file resources indicate the following possible country of origin:
- To mark the presence in the system, the following Mutex objects were created:
- The HOSTS file was updated with the following URL-to-IP mapping:
- The following Host Name was requested from a host database:
- There was registered attempt to establish connection with the remote host. The connection details are:
|Remote Host||Port Number|
- There was application-defined hook procedure installed into the hook chain (e.g. to monitor keystrokes). The installed hook is handled by the following module:
|Outbound traffic (potentially malicious)|
- There was an outbound traffic produced on port 1604:
All content ("Information") contained in this report is the copyrighted work of Threat Expert Ltd and its associated companies ("ThreatExpert") and may not be copied without the express permission of ThreatExpert.
The Information is provided on an "as is" basis. ThreatExpert disclaims all warranties, whether express or implied, to the maximum extent permitted by law, including the implied warranties that the Information is merchantable, of satisfactory quality, accurate, fit for a particular purpose or need, or non-infringing, unless such implied warranties are legally incapable of exclusion. Further, ThreatExpert does not warrant or make any representations regarding the use or the results of the use of the Information in terms of their correctness, accuracy, reliability, or otherwise.
Copyright © 2013 ThreatExpert. All rights reserved.